If you are new to the geared bicycle, it can be pretty overexciting to think of the numerous gears and when to shift them. Fine, there is no worry about the shifting gear because this was an easy task to make. The wonder of the gear will allow you to speed up even in the different terrains smoothly. It will power you to steep slope without any damage. Even you can see the geared brakes for the kids bicycle for their convenience. Here you can see how to shift the bicycle gear effectively.
Count the front gear:
The size of the gear will determine how fast each will spin. Start checking the pedals for the gear. There should be one or more rings on the outside of the chain in the centre of the pedals. These are the front gear. Most of the cycle will have between two to three in the front gears.
Count the rear wheel gear:
Now check at the rear wheels, and it should see the chain from the front gears over the different set of rings in the centre. Usually, the cycle for men will have more rear gears than the front gear.
Practice with the gear:
If you are new to the gear cycle, then a lot of training should be needed to ride in the gear cycle properly. Ride on the place relatively quiet and practice shifting up and down, front and back until you change the gear effectively. Have the better method to ride on the crowd very smoothly.
Learn when to shift:
- If you want to change the gear on the hills and ride in the wind, you need to use the comfortable gear.
- If you depend on the flats and the wind is blowing behind you, use the harder gear. Shift the gear before the terrain changes when you are in doubt, especially on the hills.
- Change the gear frequently when it is needed, doesn’t wait until you feel the incline kick. When you are in comfortable riding, and then use the rear gear and the middle front chairing. This will allow you to get loosen before you shift to the harder one.
- If you are not sure about changing the gear, then slowly look down the gear by concentrating on the road. A rear shift will give a glance to confirm whether you are in low are in high.
- Once you feel comfortable with the gear, you can play with different gear in multiple situations.
What to do if you drop chain:
If you know you dropped your chain, and then slowly park the bicycle in a safe place. Pull the rear gear to the front gear to give some slack, and then grab your chain gradually and guide it. Turn your pedals over a few times and lift your back wheel to the ground. Make it several times to run smoothly. Use the hand gloves to avoid the grease from the chain while you are proceeding with this process.
The details mentioned above will be the practical process to shift the gear in the geared bicycle. So follow this method if you are new to the geared bicycle.