Our award-winning harnesses do not include a spreader bar. You can choose a spreader bar that will fit your riding style and body type to create a customized fit. There are three lengths of spreader bars to choose from 8in., 10in. and 12in. You also have the option of a Rope Slider or Fixed Hook. A Fixed Hook spreader bar is the most popular. However, there are certain advantages to using Rope Slider spreader bars for riders with specific types of riding.
Let’s take a look at the features and benefits of both.
Fixed Hook – Positives
* A strong, direct connection to your harness which translates into a direct feeling to the kite.
* Ability to use leverage against the kite to help maintain control during shaky landings.
* Quickly unhooks for unhooked tricks.
* A durable metal construction that will last a lifetime with proper care.
Fixed Hook – Challenges
* It is difficult to ride toeside efficiently, as the Fixed Hook restricts the chicken loop’s ability to slide across your body.
* You have the option to unhook yourself if you don’t wish.
Fixed Hook is the best:
* Big-air riders.
* Freeriders who want the best feel from the kite.
* For beginners.
Rope Slider- Positives
* The chicken loop is completely free of motion, making it much easier to ride upwind and toeside.
* Surf surf is easier because of the chicken loop’s ability to move across the body.
* If combined with a smaller chicken loop the throw of the bar will be much closer which is great for:
- A) Kitesurfers who want to increase their depower when sheeting out. B) Short-armed riders who wish to be able to reach the top-of-the-bar trim systems.
Rope Slider – Challenges
* Kites feel looser and less connected to riders.
* It is difficult to self-launch and land from a fixed point.
* Rope will eventually wear with use.
Rope Slider works best for:
* Kitesurfers who want the most similar experience to surfing * Freeride hydrofoils
* Riders riding a directional board.
* Freeriders who love to ride toeside.
This post was written by Aaron McClearnon, Owner of Elite Watersports. At Elite Watersports, We strive to provide exceptional service and genuine interactions with those interested in watersports. We hold dear our passion for being out on the water and maintain this as our foundation for all business practices. Click here for more information.